The latest addition to the ULCBP is a grain mill. Although the brewshop will crack grain for you, there are clear advantages to cracking it yourself.
- cracked grain deteriorates, whereas uncracked grain lasts for a year
- longer lasting grain means you can buy more of it – 25kg sacks of grain are 1/6th the per kilo price
- larger quantities of grain increase the likelihood of a grainsharing arrangement with brew-mates
- keeping a supply of grains reduces the need to constantly drive to the brewshop
- the husks are important in forming the grain-bed and storing cracked grain inevitably settles the constituent parts out into density
With the Aussie dollar looking so good I decided to take an opportunity to buy a mill from the USA while a friend was on holiday over there. (Sorry Russ for the luggage allowance abuse!)
I selected the Crankandstein 2D Mill. Its stand-out feature is detented adjusters for roller gap. This means that it’s easy to keep the rollers parallel and return to factory setting when desired.
Of course this mill only comes bare-bones so you have to make all the rest of the mill, hopper, etc around the rollers! Stay tuned…