Blow-Off Tube – Update!

Two days ago I pitched a hefeweizen that was notorious for vomiting through the airlock.  This time I used a blow-off tube.

Here’s an update showing how successful it was…

Fermentation is currently happening at a furious pace.  You can see that the collection bottle is full of krausen, which would otherwise have ruined an airlock.  Taping the hose down into the collection bottle was definitely a good idea – when I opened the door to take this photo it caused an eruption of activity.  Without the tape the hose would certainly be blown out of the bottle.

This technique seems to be delivering the goods – and will definitely be an addition to my arsenal.  In many respects I think I may move away from airlocks entirely for primary fermentation, and just use them for conditioning, dry-hopping, etc.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: